Thursday, November 17, 2011

Fall Quarter Reflections

Today in RA class we read "Reflections from the Semester Past...Starting the Second Semester Strong"  by Jenn Thorpe, Director of Residence Life, Chestnut Hill College.  As the quarter winds down, I have been reflecting on my successful programs, challenging incidents, and many learning experiences.  In this article there is a list of 15 questions I used to ask myself how I'm doing as an R.A.  In our RA class I was asked to pick one point in which I excel at and one point in which I need to improve upon.  I can confidently say that "I feel I show the residents I have genuine care/concern for them".  I take the time to visit my two floors of residents at least once a week.  I use this time to bring them treats I baked while checking up on them to create a positive connection with my residents.  Hopefully, when I knock on their door and they see me, they remember me as the RA who takes the time to do something extra for them.

I take the time to make extra visits to my residents and plan interactive programs because I enjoy seeing the connections and feeling a sense of pride in my community.  However, I do have to remember to "do my job as a resident assistant and still have a social life".  Dedicating time to my residents comes naturally because I live beside them, but I have been learning to consciously make time for my friends outside of my community and myself.  I am taking this evening to relax and focus on my needs after a busy and tough week as an R.A.  I'm a resident too!

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your blog..takes me back to my RA days.

    ps. I still know in Residence Life at Nebraska, if you decide you want to trade the sand and sun of San Diego for snow and the Huskers! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *people...I still know people in Res Life. :)

    ReplyDelete