Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The Beginning of an Adventure!

Three years ago I convinced my parents (and myself) that I was ready to take the step to move out and live on a college campus. When I moved into my residence hall at Cal Poly Pomona, my stomach was turning. At that time I did not realize that living on campus would change my life in ways that I could not even comprehend. Eventually...I caught the Student Affairs bug.

During my last three years I lived in three very different residential communities including the traditional residence halls (not “dorms”), the Center for Regenerative Studies, and the residential suites. I continued to be an active leader within housing organizations including Welcome Week, the National Residence Hall Honorary, and InterHall Council. As a Student Assistant for the Residence Life Team, I even learned about the administrative side of housing services. All of these experiences, along with my mentors, have cultivated my passion for leadership within Student Affairs.

Within a couple of short weeks I start training as a Resident Advisor, a role I have admired since my first year in college! I am also in the process of applying for graduate programs for Student Development in Higher Education. I am excited to continue to work with dedicated student leaders and staff members in order to help build a community that residents can call “home”. I cannot wait for this next part of my journey I am about to embark on!

No comments:

Post a Comment